December 04, 2011

A/C is over-rated. Hired help is under-rated!

Floor fan



As I've mentioned, most of Vietnam is hot year-round. For those of you who don't live in humid areas, you can't really appreciate how hot hot is when it's mixed with high humidity. So just add another five degrees Celsius to whatever you're imagining, and maybe you'll get it. ;)

Many of the guesthouses here offer A/C in their rooms (usually at an extra price). Decent hotels include A/C with no extra charge. Since you all know that I prefer snow to sun, and you know that I'm not staying in one of those more expensive hotels with A/C, you're probably wondering how I'm coping in such hot weather. And I'll tell you I'm doing well.

In addition to believing that A/C makes people sick, I also think A/C is one of the dumbest inventions of man-kind. Simply put, A/C makes people lazy and whiny. It also makes them hotter when they go outside because they aren't accustomed to the heat. This in turn gets people sick. Then they become lazy and whiny. You see the circle this creates. So to avoid all that, I'm staying in a room which has an A/C unit, but I'm not using it (thus, I'm saving money). There's a floor fan (Vietnam is king of floor fans), and while it isn't always the most adequate way to cool me down, I think it makes the hot air more bearable. Besides, these hired women I have next to my bed fanning me 24/7 only cost a few dong a day.

One of my fanners