December 13, 2011

Going Bareback

I grew up with 3 guys in my family; my father, my older brother and my younger brother. And so as I grew up, I became accustomed to seeing males without their shirts on, especially in the heat of the summer. In America, this is normal. It's normal to see guys shirtless in public when it's warm or hot. As I've lived overseas, I've noticed that this isn't always the case. In fact, it's never the case. It has seemed to me that the U.S. is the only country where males take off their shirts in public. I found the lack of this trait strange in Mexico, I found it strange in Turkey... but finally I have reached a country in which I feel like I'm back in the U.S. Because here in the hot, humid heat of the south, the Vietnamese men commonly go topless. Which makes me wonder why, in the heat of other countries, they don't.