November 27, 2011

Chinatown, Vietnam

This morning I took the bus to Chinatown. Chinatown in Vietnam would be like having Mexicotown in the U.S. Or a zoo in Alaska. It's a spread out area, with no actual entry point and the only difference between Chinatown and the rest of the city is that most of the shops have Vietnamese and Chinese writing on their store signs. So there isn't much to report except for the following:

  • All the buses on Route #1 are new. And I mean new. The 'stop' buttons even work.
  • Again I saw a food vendor pour oil down the street drain. This time it was a full pan of hot oil.
  • There's a church in Chinatown which is nice looking (see pics below). Interestingly, inside the church there are 4 large flat screen tvs. For when the locals get bored with the service, I suppose.
  • It was really hot. No clouds in the sky. I imagine this is how hot the weather will be when the
  • rainy season is over with. I don't know if I'll survive.

    This is a church in Chinatown.
    This is the entrance to the church

  • Here are the tvs in case you're bored with the service.

    Old pagoda in Chinatown.  Notice how it's been left among the modern bldgs.

    Inside the old pagoda of Chinatown, HCMC.