November 16, 2011

The thing about the Vietnamese language is that because they normally speak in a higher pitch than other languages, when they get angry at each other, the only thing that really changes is the speed at which they speak (or scream). I'm currently listening to a furious argument between some of the alley neighbors - 2 older women and one truly livid man. It's been going on now for about 10 minutes. It started out as loud voices arguing and increased rapidly. At one point, one of the women started swatting at the man's finger which was pointing at her in anger. That's when one neighbor, then two, stepped in to break it up. However, he continued yelling, the arguing became intense anger and now other neighbors have gotten involved (to calm everyone down). I don't know these people as they're located on the alley behind my guesthouse and I never go there.

I guess the Vietnamese aren't as happy as I thought.