November 10, 2011

Didn't my mother teach me to look both ways before crossing?

This morning I was the cause of a Vietnamese woman taking a spill on her moto (this means I made her fall). I'm not sure how I feel about it.


In a hurry to get home for a phone call, I started to cross the corner of a small street. A few steps off the curb, I looked to my left and saw 2 vehicles turning onto the street, only a few meters from me; in synchronization with each other, one was a moto and the other a bicycle. They were too close to me for me to do anything - I knew if I stepped back, the moto would collide into me and if I stepped forward the bicycle would. So I just stopped hoping they'd both go around me on opposite sides. It didn't happen. The cyclist got away, but the lady on the moto didn't know what to do, so she braked as she was turning. Somehow it caused her to skid and slide over onto the ground. As I watched it happened, I thought, "Hmmm. That's how it looks when I fall off my bike."


On the one hand, there are no rules for the road, so I can't really feel sorry for her. On the other, I probably wasn't paying attention and forgot to look before crossing, making it my fault. I tried to help her up, but I don't think she wanted my help. A store owner walked over and pushed the moto off her and then helped her to her feet. She was quite upset and I'm lucky I can't understand Vietnamese because I don't think it was anything good she was saying to the guy. I imagine she was saying something like, "Damn tourists. Why don't they all go home and leave us alone!" She got back on her moto and drove off.


This incidentally, is the first accident I've seen on the crazy streets of Vietnam.

Note:  Here are 2 good Utube videos of the traffic in HCMC.  It'll give you an idea of what people go through just to get to the other side of the road.  While there are numerous crossing zebras all over the city, many of them aren't near traffic lights and even when they are, the drivers ignore their purpose.