November 14, 2011

I will never read another book as long as I live

It's been a year since I've read a book. That's because the few book stores in Turkey which sold used books in English sold them for an arm and a leg (that means they were expensive). Coming from a country where I can buy used books for less than a dollar, paying 5 or 7 lira for a used book just wasn't justifiable. And so, I went a whole year without reading. (I did manage to find a book for $2 the month before I left, but it was the most awful written book I've ever read and I can't believe the woman was paid money for it while here I sit, still unfamous and unauthored.)

And so I had hoped that perhaps in a country which I kept hearing was cheap, I'd be able to resume my enjoyment of reading. But, alas, I can't. Because somehow, here too, used books in English cost $3.50 and up. Sold by locals who can't read English, let alone speak much of it, but know how to make a good buck by all those travellers who do.