November 27, 2011

The Descent of the Vultures

Restaurant culture of the Tourist District must be included under my topic of dining in Siagon because it is quite different from the western world. So let me give you a brief summary of what it's like to go lunch or dinner hunting in the backpacker zone of Saigon.

When eating in the tourist area of Saigon (I don't know if this is true for other parts of the city), you'll find that every eatery in this zone has the menu on display outside the restaurant/cafe (like in Europe). However, unlike Europe, as soon as you step up to the menu podium to look at what they serve or the prices, an employee rushes forward, stops only half a meter from you and then stands there watching you like a vulture as you review the menu. It doesn't matter how long you stand there, 10 seconds or 10 minutes, they're there. Somehow, they believe this act of staring and making the prospective customer uncomfortable will make you choose their place to drop your money. For me, it rarely does. I usually just turn my head, stare back at them, wait, and if they don't get the hint (which they never do), walk away. I find it all too irritating.